New blog website!

In the Spring semester of 2015 I will be blogging for the Wentworth website. To keep following me go to: blogs.wit.edu/grootenb

Update February 2017: Unfortunately the above link doesn't work anymore. That's because after the great year in Boston I transferred to the Eindhoven University of Technology, back in the Netherlands. To read the blogs I wrote on Wentworth's website in 2015 go to: http://web.archive.org/web/20150507172819/http://blogs.wit.edu/grootenb/
Now I'm almost finished with my Bachelor in Applied Mathematics and looking for a good Master I want to pursue. Also, I now play baseball for the Oosterhout Twins in the Dutch Major League! (called: 'de Hoofdklasse' in Dutch).




zondag 2 november 2014

Halloween

Hello everybody,

This Friday night was a pretty awesome one. My suite mate Alex and I went on the Boston Halloween Bike Ride, dressed as superheroes. I can proudly say that our costumes were pretty cool. Over our warm sweaters we wore a superman shirt (or supervillain in his case). Then we had a towel as our cape, attached with safety pins. To top it all off, we found our most colorful underwear and wore it over our pants.
The bike ride started at Copley Square, where about 700 people gathered to leave at 8pm. Imagine that, a group of 700 dressed up bikers riding through the centre of Boston and Cambridge. We sure messed up the traffic at some times, but mostly people were enjoying it.
After the solid 10 miles bike ride, which is about 16 km, we all parked our bike near the Brighton Music Hall. When we walked in, the band Ripe was about to start playing. All seven of them were dressed as pikachu. They played really awesome live music with three guitars, two trumpets, a drummer and a lead singer. After dancing for an hour or something, Alex and I were pretty hungry, so we got a pizza two doors to the left. We checked if the next band was cool too, but we didn't like 'm that much and drove home.

I made some video's during the ride. As you can see, there are a lot of people participating. And what is visible on this video is not even half of our parade, I think.

School is going pretty good. We received our midterms grades last week and I am proud to tell you that I have all A's! (and one A-). Now, that doesn't mean I did everything perfect. It means I'm in the 85-100 percentages on average. It also doesn't mean that my study is too easy, as my parents immediately thought. I am really learning a lot of new, interesting and difficult material. This week I have another two exams coming up.

What I like about Wentworth, is that they are truly helpful in finding a job. Even in your freshman year, they already encourage you to make a resume and search for a good job/internship this summer. I already had a Dutch resume, so I'm translating it to English. Also, I'm writing it in LaTeX instead of Word, which will make it look quite professional. :)

Baseball is going good. We're still working out a lot of course. And since a couple weeks ago we started to go hit in our indoor cage regularly. I already used this facility a lot, I love that we're able to hit whenever we want.
I enjoyed watching the World Series by the way! It was really exciting until the very last pitch of Game 7. 
Another baseball-related thing is that I finally put a layer of oil on my gloves. I love the smell when I'm 'nursing' my glove. 
There is another big news item from me about baseball coming up, but it's not certain yet. I will tell more about it in my next blog!

Now I'm going to hit some baseballs in the cage! Oh, by the way, the first snow here in Boston is already falling as I speak.

All the best,
Bram

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten